blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

"Pie It Forward"

Happy New Year!!!!!!

So I made a small resolution that I think I can adhere to keeping. I am not going to promise you posts all the time, it'd just be wrong for me to do that. I don't even think I have that much of a following, but I know my time will come when I do.

Until then I'm going to keep sharing.

Anyway….I baked a pie. It was delicious, i loved it. BUT I ate 2 slices, my husband ate 1 bite and the rest I gave it to my co-workers because it was so delicious that I didn't want it to be wasted.

There are really no words because it was THAT Good. I didn't follow a recipe for the filling, but I did use Ree Drummond's Pie Crust recipe because I have yet to come up with a crust recipe of my own. She never fails me EVER!!!!!

But let's rewind, this pie was not planned, because if it had been I would have put more thought into it. I had some apples that were 1 day shy of being tossed into the garbage. I'm trying my best not to be so wasteful so I sliced those babies up and Googled a crust recipe and voila…pie. I did jazz this one up in the end a smidge. I added mini marshmallows into the lattice holes, and then drizzled some chocolate syrup on top. I thought it was add something cool, new and more oozy and … well…it did!!!!!

(Sorry about the shadow, I have to get better at taking photographs of my food)

So I'm going to spare you the dramatics of putting Mrs. Drummond's pie crust recipe here, just click the link above and there you have it.


FILLING
5 apples (I used McIntosh apples)
1/2 c dark brown sugar
3/4c white sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Vanilla Extract (pure)
1 pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp flour

TOPPING
1 handful or less of mini marshmallows
Chocolate syrup


Step 1. peel and slice the apples, if there are brown spots, take them out and discard and use whatever is good of that apple
Step 2. let them sit in a bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice and mix it through so your apples won't turn
Step 3. this is going to sound like a hot mess, but in a large bowl throw in your apples and gently stir all of the ingredients in slowly making sure every slice has flavor on it
**if you notice I didn't put a measurement for the Cinnamon, Nutmeg or Vanilla extract. It's quite difficult for me because I was taught to cook without measuring, and by eyesight. What I will say is if you shake your cinnamon and nutmeg containers 3-4 times that should be enough. (sorry but it's the best I can do as I didn't plan this recipe post it just happened)

Step 4. Take 1 of your pie crusts, roll it out, and lay it into a 9" pie plate (the crust should overlap the pan so you can crimp it)

INTERMISSION

Step 5. I don't like "wet crust" so if you're anything like me you will poke some holes into that crust with a fork and crimp the edges a bit and bake on 350 until it's light golden brown

WE CONTINUE WITH THIS RECIPE

Step 6. Let the crust cool once you take it out of the oven for a good 15minutes
Step 7. Pour the apple mixtures into the pie dish
Step 8. I did a lattice top on this pie because I think it's pretty
Step 9. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes then remove from the oven and add mini marshmallows anywhere you can fit them in the lattice holes and put back into the oven for 10 minutes
Step 10. Once the pie has cooled drizzle some chocolate syrup on top

ENJOY!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment