If you know me, which through this blog I hope you get to know who I am a little bit more through each and every entry; you know that without a shadow of a doubt I absolutely LOVE NYC
It all started in high school. In my junior year we took a class trip to the MoMA (Metropolitan Museum of Art) my friends and I were so excited to get dressed up and hit the city (ugh but with classmates that we could 1/2 stand). Nonetheless, for me, it was the perfect fall day. We ate water dogs on the steps near the fountain and just enjoyed our time there. I made a mental note (and I probably told my BFF) that one day I was going to work here, live here, and be here every single day.
After I graduated college I thought for sure I would get a job making $50,000 in NYC and move here within the year. YEAH THAT DID NOT HAPPEN (Cue in reality) So I went through 2 post-grad jobs before I got my break in NYC. I worked at Bath & Body Works as an Assistant Store Manager for 2 years, and then I worked for Bare Necessities as a Customer Service Supervisor. I felt like this was not the plan, I was angry all I wanted was to be amongst the fashionable, chill, and busy streets of NYC. Finally I got a job in Soho and my love affair with this city officially began. It was a dream!!! I had amazing co-workers, a hella cool, stylish boss that literally taught me so much in just 6 months of working for her. (I really miss her) But anyway, 6 months later the dream was CRUSHED! I was laid off….I was devastated, why is my bliss being taken away from me? But this was my first lesson in the real world in that nothing lasts forever. My company was downsizing, restructuring whatever you want to call it. It was sad, so many of us were let go.
7 months later (after many trips back into the city meeting with headhunters) I was BACK IN ACTION!!!!!!! Landed a temporary job with a major major MAJOR retailer and I've been here ever since.
In between the years, I have celebrated countless birthdays in this city, took my very first out of state trip with my husband here, sent my parents to numerous Broadway shows and concerts and tasted some of the most amazing culinary treats of my LIFE!!!!!!
Some people are very anti-NYC because it's "dangerous", or there's too many people, but there's a certain calm that can really only be appreciated in the morning, when there aren't too many people on the street, or the line at Starbucks isn't quite as long….it's mesmerizing to just sit/stand and pay attention to your surroundings.
So…all the while I can complain about the many different facets of life, the one thing I cannot complain about is that I've made this happen for myself. I think of the day when I won't work in NYC anymore and I get really sad about it. There's just something about this city...

No comments:
Post a Comment